Last month I shared how I aim to finish the rest of my Pimsleur Icelandic audio lessons as one of my Icelandic October goals; I’ve repeated lesson 25 a few times and thought writing out some of the commonly used words and phrases in it might help me retain what I’ve learned.
Full disclosure—I imagine I have an error or two (or ten) here, so don’t rely on the below completely.
- Where to do you intend to go? = Hvar ætlar þú að fara?
- And with the children = Og með börnunum
- Which way is best? = Hvaða leið er best?
- The correct way = Rétta leiðin
- Is this the correct way? = Er þetta rétta leiðin?
- This is the correct way = Þetta er rétta leiðin
- That is the correct way = Það er rétta leið
- Turn = Beygðu
- Drive further = Keyrðu lengra
- Then = Síðan
- Is it far to…? = Er langt á…?
- How many…? = Hvað margir…? / Hversu margir…?
- That is not far = Það er ekki langt
- I would like to buy something = Mig langar að kaupa eitthvað
- For = Handa (when buying something)
- I would like to buy a wool sweater today = Mig langar að kaupa lopapeysu í dag
- Can I (that)? = Get ég það?
- Why? = Af hverju?
- Why not? = Af hverju ekki?
- Because = Af því að
- The stores = Búðirnar
- Closed = Lokaðar
- The sores are closed = Búðirnar eru lokaðar (this one took me quite awhile to learn how to say!)
- Blanket = Ullarteppi (this is a fun one to say!)
- No, you cannot = Nei, þú getur það ekki
- She answers = Hún svarar
- Right? = Ekki satt?
- Late = Áliðið
- It is too late = Það er of áliðið
If you’re trying out Pimsleur Icelandic, too, I suggest doing each audio lesson on your own (without stopping to look things up) and making note of the words you want to check on later. I usually repeat each lesson multiple times and allow myself to look up translations/spelling later.